Noise and Nuisance

Statutory Nuisance:

Statutory noise is the excessive noise or nuisance that interferes with other people's rights to the use and enjoyment of their home and community. It is a criminal offence and specifically includes the following:

  • Excessive noise on or around the property;
  • Excessive noise from vehicles, machinery or equipment;
  • Rubbish being dumped;
  • The property falling into a poor condition of disrepair;
  • Fumes arising from the property, such as gas, smoke or other such odours; and
  • Noisy pets and/or nuisance arising from the way in which pets are being kept.


Noise is the most common form of nuisance. Where the noise arises from the Tenant, it is generally dealt with in terms of the Tenancy Agreement between the Landlord and the Tenant. The Landlord may also claim possession of the property by serving a Section 8 Notice on the Tenant, in terms of Ground 14, which deals with excessive noise. For more information on Section 8 Notices and the grounds for possession, see Section 8 Notices.

Where the noise issues arise from the neighbours as opposed to the Tenant, the local authority can be contacted to deal with the problem. The local authority has a duty to investigate complaints of noise and/or nuisance and will usually send an environmental health officer (EHO) to determine whether there is evidence of statutory nuisance. In these cases an abatement notice may be served on the person(s) responsible for the noise and/or nuisance in which they are requested to either cease or limit the noise and/or nuisance. It is a criminal offence to disobey an abatement notice without reasonable cause.

Where the Landlord is unsuccessful in this regard, it may be necessary to approach the courts for relief. The Magistrates Court can be approached for an abatement order in terms of Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. The person making the noise and/or nuisance must be given 3 days notice of the Landlord's intention to bring proceedings in court.

The following civil actions may also be brought against the person making the noise and/or nuisance:

  • An injunction restraining the person from continuing the noise and/or nuisance; or
  • Claim for loss or damages as a result of the noise and/or nuisance.

If you liked this article please use one or more of the like buttons below
Ask us your Noise and Nuisance related questions

Do you still have a question?
Either contact us with your query and we'll endevour to get an answer to you, or ask a property laywer for an answer within minutes. Ask here

Share this article Digg this Post! Add Post to Bookmark Post in Technorati Facebook Twit This Google Yahoo! Buzz Reddit! Wong this Post! StumbleUpon

Document Offers

Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement Template suit any residential property + FREE Standing order form & FREE Tenant application form

only £9.99

About Our Documents

Solicitor drafted
written in plain English
Explanation notes
Completed examples
Customisable templates
Instant downloads
Saves time & money
100% satisfaction guarantee

Document Discounts

Complete Landlord Saver Pack

A suite of 13 essential documents for a landlord ...a saving of £33.88

only £19.99

Free Newsletter

Enter your email address

Get your question answered

Ask a UK Propery Lawyer a question & get an answer within minutes...

ask here >

Our Satisfaction Guarantee

We are very proud of our

documents hence why we offer you a 100% satisfaction guarantee!

Home | FAQ | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Like our facebook page & follow us on twitter